A little over four years ago, I didn’t give much thought to the products I was using on my body. But one day, I started noticing my favorite scented body wash was leaving red blotches on my skin after each shower. I initially wrote it off, thinking it was no big deal. But then as it continued, I start questioning what was in the body wash. Looking at the ingredient list left my head spinning. You almost need a PhD in chemistry to know what you’re reading! My instinct told me my body was done with whatever was inside that bottle and that I shouldn’t ignore it any longer. I was sad, but knew my only option was to discontinue using my favorite scented body products. And guess what, the blotchiness stopped. This was my first of many ‘aha’ moments over the past few years of my health journey.
The more I investigated my products, the more shocked I became. I always thought products that made it to store shelves had to go through testing and stay within regulatory guidelines. Not so within the beauty industry. A major law hasn’t been passed in the personal care industry since 1938! 1938!! That’s 82 years with an ‘anything goes industry’. Companies are able to use whatever ingredient works best for their bottom line, without concern for the general health of the consumers. No wonder we as a nation are becoming sicker and sicker. Currently there are over 1800 ingredients used in the beauty industry that are either questionable or have known negative effects on our bodies. Of those 1800, the U.S. only bans 30 of them. Yes, 30. Where does that leave us? Inundated with chemicals before even leaving the bathroom each morning. Our health deserves better. WE deserve better.
In comes Beautycounter, a company focused on doing something about our current standards in the personal care industry. They care about the wellbeing of consumers so much that they’ve committed to offering products that are free of the 1500+ harmful or questionable chemicals found in so many of the products offered today. Check out their Never List (a list that includes some of the 1500+ ingredients you’ll never find in their products). But Beautycounter doesn’t stop there. They’re also on a mission to bring about stricter laws governing the industry so that everyone will have access to safer personal care products, no matter if you shop at the local convenience store or with a Beautycounter consultant.
When I first heard of Beautycounter, I knew I had to try their products. It didn’t take long to see the results of cleaner ingredients on my skin. It instantly became well hydrated, softer and smoother than it had been in years. With every product I’ve tried, I fell more in love! Not only are they safer for my body, they’re also high performing (a point where many natural products have fallen short for me).
The company, with their mission to educate the public and advocate for more regulation in the beauty industry speaks volumes to me. It wasn’t long after starting to use their products before I made the decision to align my coaching practice with them by becoming a consultant. It’s my goal to help educate people in how to read ingredients on labels for what goes IN AND ON their bodies! We owe it to ourselves.
Beautycounter offers skin care products for both men and women that include anti-aging, acne and combination skin care as well as make-up, hair, body and baby products. Imagine a line of products that work as well as your conventional counterparts, without all the chemicals…it exists and I’m excited to share it with you! I have some fun articles coming in the future for my favorite products, make-up, morning and nighttime routines! Until then, I thought I’d share my top 5 faves and why I love them.
- Cleansing Balm – this multipurpose cleanser, moisturizer, make-up remover, overnight mask does it all. I LOVE this amazing balm!! It does an awesome job of removing ALL your make-up and leaves your skin feeling so fresh, soft and clean. It took me a while to give it try, but from the first night of using it, I wondered why on earth I hesitated. It’s like magic in a jar! And like all of Beautycounter’s products, it’s high performing and a little goes a long way. So while the jar may seem expensive to you, it WILL LAST a LONG TIME!
- Countermatch Adaptive Moisture Lotion – this moisturizer is sooo lightweight it doesn’t feel like you’re wearing anything the moment you put it on and yet it leaves your skin super nourished, balancing out the dry areas.
- Dew Skin Moisturizer – ahh my go-to on most days! So much love for this dreamy, lightweight, tinted, SPF 20 moisturizer. It leaves a beautiful glow and doesn’t have that harsh sunscreen smell that most other SPF moisturizers carry.
- Tinted Eyebrow Gel – A new favorite that launched this year! I’ve always been let’s say, ‘blessed’ with full eyebrows (though I never appreciated that growing up!) and using a gel has been a must. But as we age, the eyebrow hairs lose color and naturally start to thin so this tinted gel has been a game changer for me!
- Resurfacing Peel – this little bottle of goodness has improved my skin’s texture, minimizing pores, fine lines and dark spots. Pretty much in love with this one as well!
If you’re ready to explore all that Beautycounter has to offer, shop with me HERE.
Have questions about making cleaner swaps but don’t know where to start? Or maybe you feel just as passionate about this movement as I do…Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and I’ll be in touch to help you create a plan within you skin care needs and budget.